woensdag 28 januari 2009

Time flies by during Indoor Skydive













‘I am so nerves, I could die’, shouts a woman to her friend in the noisy air duct. I know how they feel. With sweaty hands, I look at the big screen and see that it’s almost my turn. While the entertainment agenda of Rotterdam is full of parties and events, I decided to be the daredevil of Profielen and went indoor skydiving in Roosendaal.

Everyone has fantasised about what it would be like to fly. Do you want to experience a free fall without fearing that the parachute won’t open? Than you should go indoor skydiving for at least two sessions. It’s called the ultimate experience. Along the highway in Roosendaal is the huge complex where the Skydive Centre is located. The building with huge air duct with fans stands in a large field.

Once you are inside it appears that much attention has been paid to the experience: there are pictures everywhere of people skydivig with a smile from ear to ear. There are TV screens where you can watch live the happening inside the vertical tunnel.
While I was walking towards the desk to check-in, I felt enthusiastic and tough. After I got my skydive-overall, helmet, goggle and earplugs, I realised what I really was about to do. My first thought with a helmet in my hands was: why do I need a helmet? Is it that dangerous?

Indoor Skydive Roosendaal is an unique concept in the Benelux countries where everyone from young to old can experience the thrill of flying independently through turbines. Indoor Skydive is really almost the same as skydiving, but there is no aircraft or parachute involved. Indoor skydiving happens in a so called tunnel, where participants do not fall down, but by an upward flow of air they will be blown up in the tunnel. It seems as if you created a free fall. One minute in the 23.5 meter high tunnel is similar to two times a free fall from a plane of thirty seconds.

The tension increases when you have seen extensive instruction in comfortable seats in a room next to the vertical wind tunnel. During the sessions, an experienced guide, known as a marshall, helps the customers flying in the tunnel. It is important that you focus and remember the instructions and the signals of the marshall well. Because of the nerves, I forgot the half. A thumb up means "head up" and not "quite good". Two fingers means stretched legs and isn’t a peace symbol. A session lasts for sixty seconds and before you know it, you have flown away with the time.

It is very important not to push yourself or step-up into the tunnel. You must let yourself fall. That is the narrowest feeling. Fortunately, the marshall gives you a trusted and safe feeling, so you can enjoy that sixty seconds. During the second session I was more balanced and so the marshall guided me high in to the tunnel. Once an empty feeling in your stomach and a smile replaces the nerves, you are flying. That is the ultimate experience. ‘It is a shame that a session is over so soon’ says the nervous lady to her friend after her two sessions. I got an Indoor Skydive certificate after my sessions and after that I walked proudly with a very dry mouth to the canteen for a drink. As a souvenir you can buy a DVD of your flight experience. Those who had a good taste of it, can register for a professional flying course.

For more information see www.indoorskydive.com. For the readers of Profielen, there is a twenty percent discount until the end of March on three session of 69.95 euro on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Bron: The Dutch version of this article is been published in Profielen

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten